lichess.org
Donate

An argument for making chess960 the standard for chess

Chess960 is kind of a variant. It's also kind of a logical extension of chess which is aligned with the general evolution of chess.

Chess has always had rule changes. Anyone who says anything different doesn't know what they're talking about. And the rule changes usually have a compelling justification to improve the game.

For example, the bishop and the queen replaced the elephant and the minister. Why?

Because it created a more dynamic and exciting game.

Castling was added to chess. Why?

Because people realized that getting your king out of the center is usually a good thing to do, and connecting your rooks is usually a good thing to do. Allowing castling makes the game more exciting by allowing you to do both of these in one move instead of making the game more boring by requiring multiple moves. It also adds strategic depth by providing the king additional safety.

The pawn being able to move up two on the first move was added to chess. Why?

Because it makes the game quicker and more exciting. Now players don't have to take two moves to move their pawn up two.

En passant was added to chess. Why?

To fix the problem of the pawn moving up two negatively affecting the mechanics in a serious way. En passant is a compromise between the new rule (pawn move up two on first move) and the old rule (pawns can only move up one square, never two).

And now there's a new problem, one unique to the 21st century: computers are more powerful than they've ever been. To play chess at a high level requires intense opening preparation, usually with a computer.

So Bobby Fischer thought of a rule change to fix this modern problem. One that is pretty conservative, simple, elegant, and maintains the legacy of the old chess. Everything about the game is the same except the pieces on the back rank are randomized (with a few restraints) and a slightly expanded interpretation of castling (though the castling end positions are the same as in the old chess).

And a small note about castling: many people feel that the castling is weird, hard to remember, or doesn't feel right. But I'd argue that this is how people initially felt about en passant capturing. It's the one capture in chess that doesn't require a piece to land on the square of a captured piece. Both were added ad hoc to maintain the game while accommodating new rules.

So the rationale for chess960 is similar to the rationales used to justify previous changes to the game throughout history. If our ancestors could accept changes to the rules to improve the game, why can't we?
I'll never play chess at that high of a level, computers and engines be damned. So, basically i enjoy the game in its present state.
You are correct but you are speaking this as "you", this will benefit intermediate players but the Top players and 10 years old child who spent his childhood will suffer , and will be complicated for beginners to arrange pieces . AND THE MOST IMP POINT IS THAT IF IT CHANGES THEN AGAIN COMP WILL EVOLVE AND KIDS START LEARNING 960 OPENINGS.
You literally just repeated Fischer's reasoning for creating chess960.
This is not an argument, but a restatement.
@InkyDarkBird said in #4:
> You literally just repeated Fischer's reasoning for creating chess960.
> This is not an argument, but a restatement.

No, the argument is that Fischer's reasoning aligns with the rationales used to justify changes to the rules of chess throughout history. Can you provide a source where Fischer claims that his rationale for chess960 aligns with historical justifications for changing the rules of chess?
@linuxfce said in #3:
> You are correct but you are speaking this as "you", this will benefit intermediate players but the Top players and 10 years old child who spent his childhood will suffer , and will be complicated for beginners to arrange pieces . AND THE MOST IMP POINT IS THAT IF IT CHANGES THEN AGAIN COMP WILL EVOLVE AND KIDS START LEARNING 960 OPENINGS.

What's your argument or evidence that humans will be able to meaningfully memorize openings for chess960? As far as I can tell, it's difficult enough memorizing them for ONE opening. How, exactly, could anyone (let alone kids) memorize enough openings to be meaningful in CHESS960, where opening theory is MULTIPLIED by 960? Seems like a ridiculous proposition to me.

And what's your argument/evidence that top players and children will suffer? It's so easy these days to just download an app that'll give you a random position. You could use a random number generator, 1 to 960 and set it up that way. Or through rolling a die. There are many simple ways.

Also, why do top players, such as Magnus Carlsen and Levon Aronian praise chess960 so much if it'll make it worse for top players?
@HerkyHawkeye said in #2:
> I'll never play chess at that high of a level, computers and engines be damned. So, basically i enjoy the game in its present state.

That's fair. But even if theory isn't an issue for you, the greater positional/structural diversity 960 offers can be fun, regardless.
@InkyDarkBird said in #8:
> www.chessable.com/blog/an-introduction-to-fischer-random-chess/
> Supporting creativity, which increases the excitement in chess.

Yeah, that wasn't the main argument of my post. The main argument of my post is that the arguments for changing the rules of chess to chess960 rules align with the justifications given throughout history for changing the rules of chess (to the rules that we currently play with today).

You're claiming that this argument has been made elsewhere. Can you show me where? I never claimed I was the first person to argue that chess960 supports creativity or increases excitement in chess. Nice strawman.
The theoretical side of chess has spanned centuries and is immensely interesting in itself. There's no way the majority of players would just switch over to 960. Even though I'm on the lower side of the intermediate level, the idea of losing all my study of opening theory would probably make me less interested in the game.

I agree with Fischer's sentiment, the introduction of computers into chess has made it less interesting at the highest level and it has less of the romantic element. This has already happened with art, music, architecture and so on. Any kind of randomisation won't really change anything, that's my view anyway.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.